Hans-Peter Jakobson was born in 1947 in the town of Wittenberge in the county of Prignitz in Brandenburg. He studied art history and cultural studies at the Humboldt University in Berlin. He is co-founder of the Museum für Angewandte Kunst in Gera, which he ran from 1989 until his retirement. He continues to work as a freelance curator and writer, with a focus on contemporary and twentieth century ceramics and porcelain. He spends his time between Gera and the small Prignitz town of Quitzöbel.